Modern Mouse wants to partner with talented designers who create products of superior quality and originality, and whose products fit the overall aesthetic of the collection within our store: simple, stylish and polished with a fun/playful and modern appeal.
If you liked the sound of what we’re about and think that your work is right up our alley, hooray! Please have a read through this page — especially the Before You Apply section below — for more information and how to apply.
How it Works
We work with designers/artists/small businesses on a consignment basis. The following partnership options are available to you:
- Modern Mouse pays a majority 60/40 split (i.e. you, the designer, retain 60% of the sales price), and a $36 pro-rated registration fee is payable at the start of each quarterly consignment term; or,
- Modern Mouse pays a 50/50 split, and no registration fees apply.
In return for collaborating with us as a Modern Mouse designer, we pledge to:
- Do our best to effectively display and sell your products in our store
- Take excellent care of your inventory and your consignment account/records
- Send payment up to twice a month (approximately every 2 or 4 weeks, depending on amount of payout)
- Proactively provide status reports on your product sales
- Communicate customer questions, requests and/or feedback about your products
- Market and promote your business and your work on our website and in our store
- Provide you with access to a network of like-minded designers, if you so choose
If you’ve never consigned before, here are some reasons to consider it! Consigning with a retail boutique allows you to:
- Expand your sales channels beyond e-commerce and craft shows
- Get exposure to or increase your presence in retail shops (and start growing that Where to Buy page on your website)
- Gain experience selling your products in a brick-and-mortar retail environment
- Test out new products
Specific details and our Consignment Agreement are on the password-protected Consignment Agreement page. If you’ve been accepted as a new designer but haven’t already received a password from us, please send us a request at shop [at!] modernmousegifts [dot!] com.
Products We’re Interested In
Modern Mouse offer products in price points ranging between $1.50 and $130, with the majority of items between $10 and $40. Since our model is to promote individual artists’ businesses, we retail products at the same prices that you list them in your Etsy or other online stores (i.e. no markup) so that we don’t compete.
- Home Accessories: decorative accessories, wall décor, home textiles
- Personal Accessories: bags and purses, cards and stationery, jewelry, bath and body products
- Special Occasion Gifts: easy-to-choose gifts for holidays and special occasions, including target recipients such as host/hostess, significant other, bride/groom/wedding party, housewarming, kids and baby
We invite you to look at our Designer Introductions to get a preview of all the goodness we’re lucky enough to be carrying!
About Alameda South Shore Center
- See photos of the shopping center (from Alameda South Shore Center’s Facebook page)
- Anchor tenants: Safeway, Trader Joe’s, Borders, Bed Bath & Beyond, Beverly’s
- Alameda South Shore Center has a 24-hour onsite security service
- Within 1 mile
- Est. population: 26,991
- Est. average household income: $80,061
- Est. daytime population: 8.672
- Within 3 miles
- Est. population: 170,430
- Est. average household income: $63,730
- Est. daytime population: 55,175
- Within 5 miles
- Est. population: 410,408
- Est. average household income: $63,504
- Est. daytime population: 192,334
- Within 1 mile
Visit the Alameda South Shore Center website for more info. »
Before You Apply…
Before we dive into how to apply, we ask that you please:
- Keep in mind that, because of our collaborative model and efforts we put forth to promote your shops, we will retail your products at the same prices that you list them for in your Etsy or other online shop.
- Be able to replenish items in a timely manner (within 1-2 weeks).
- Promise that we can still be friends if we don’t accept your application at this time. We simply want to ensure that the products we carry represent a cohesive and well-distributed reflection of the boutique’s overall aesthetic and atmosphere and, of course, its target customers. Or, it may be that we already have enough products in your category, or that we don’t think we have the right target audience for your product. In other words, it’s not you — it’s us!
Thank you for your understanding.